Friday, November 14, 2008

I never know how to start these.

In retrospect, it probably would have been better if I had started this a few weeks ago, to sort of compliment my therapy (does every wannabe intellectual go to therapy? Or just pretend university therapy like me?). Generally, though, I always think "you know, now would be a good time to start a journal" when I don't have time to start a journal.

I suppose that means they aren't good times to start a journal after all.

However, although this still isn't an ideal time for me to start writing again (no time is really an ideal time for people with extremely short attention spans whose ideas tend to fizzle out over time), the current situation with my university, which can only be described as "full of fail and AIDs", has lead to me having quite a bit of time of my hands. But, it HAS lead to certain new developments in my life that are making things a lot less dull.

  • I am attempting to better myself as a film student (surprise, surprise. No, I don't worship at Wes Anderson's altar, and yes, I am aware I will be making little to no money in future) by watching critically-acclaimed cinema. However, because of the aforementioned short attention span, I can't seem to bring myself to watch all of a Hitchcock film or a Nordic independent movie because there are no people asking metaphysical questions while blowing things up set to a pumping techno soundtrack. Coincidentally, I love Run Lola Run.
  • Although I attempt to stray as far away from that irritating classification of person known as the "art fag", it is a constant fear that one day I will begin to casually namedrop obscure bands whose music consists of acoustic guitars and xylophones and become obsessed with studying German Expressionism while smoking clove cigarettes. However, I think that as long as I maintain my sense of humour and my love for Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, I will be safe from this fatal disease.
  • I have rediscovered Tetris. I fully expect it to be a serious adversary in my struggle to combat the evils of procrastination. But good god is it a fun adversary.

No comments: